Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caustic shot testing

Hi

I know there are many forms of CIP systems in the market. A craft beer company in Cape Town South Africa requested us to do a trial test with caustic shots through a proper CIP system.

Fermented Tank size was 180HL
    Beer : larger
    Under 3bar pressure co2
    Caustic was low foam Alkaline at 2,5% & 150l shot. We conducted 2 shots with a 4 minute break interval. Spray time was between 2-4minutes. This test failed. In my opinion the shot time was to short and pressure on spray ball could be 0.8bar which was to low.

Is there any brewers or consultance that can assist me as the brewmaster is set in his ways to make this work to save cost on water electricity time & wear.

Thank you in advance

Tazzworld

Stop doing this!

Originally posted by Tazzworld View Post
    Hi

I know there are many forms of CIP systems in the market. A craft beer company in Cape Town South Africa requested us to do a trial test with caustic shots through a proper CIP system.

Fermented Tank size was 180HL
    Beer : larger
    Under 3bar pressure co2
    Caustic was low foam Alkaline at 2,5% & 150l shot. We conducted 2 shots with a 4 minute break interval. Spray time was between 2-4minutes. This test failed. In my opinion the shot time was to short and pressure on spray ball could be 0.8bar which was to low.

Is there any brewers or consultance that can assist me as the brewmaster is set in his ways to make this work to save cost on water electricity time & wear.

Thank you in advance

Tazzworld
    You are going to implode your fermenters if you shoot caustic into a tank with 45psi of CO2 in it. ABSOLUTELY DO NOT USE THIS PROCEDURE AGAIN! Also, there is no reason to have a fermenter at 3bar/45psi. All i can say is this seems like a terrible idea and you are going implode your tank or at best crack it.

-Kevin W

Comment

Originally posted by Gambrinus64 View Post
      You are going to implode your fermenters if you shoot caustic into a tank with 45psi of CO2 in it. ABSOLUTELY DO NOT USE THIS PROCEDURE AGAIN! Also, there is no reason to have a fermenter at 3bar/45psi. All i can say is this seems like a terrible idea and you are going implode your tank or at best crack it.

-Kevin W
      MOST tanks at that size are not even rated to hold 3 bar. I would worry more about explosion in this case. I would never pressurize that high. Especially if the tank was made in Africa.

You are not likely to implode the tank if you have 3 bar pressure to begin with, however you will absolutely reduce the effectiveness of your caustic as it reacts with the co2. You will also precipitate out salts. Depending on the amount of caustic, it COULD create enough reaction to implode the tank. Co2 in your tank likely mean it is still fairly cold, and that will not help the effectiveness of your caustic.

Time, Temperature, Concentration, and Mechanical Action. Loose one or two and yo have to increase the others significantly. I like to see minimum 1 bar through the CIP arm, personally.

1 batch of wasted beer will cost you a lot more than 20mins of time/electricity, 1-2hl water, and the caustic. I am also suspecting co2 is not particularly cheap, and you are using a lot to pressure your 180hl tank to 3bar...

He should consider a proper CIP skid, where you can reuse the caustic and sanitizer multiple times if he is that concerned about wastage. Dump solids, test concentration, and reuse a few times.

Birko Corp has a good write-up on cleaning your Brite Tanks with acid only, under pressure, but the fermenters have way too much organic material to trust that method on a Ferm.

Remember when making beer, it's like 90% cleaning and only 10% production, so don't skimp!

Comment

I'll echo a couple of comments about over pressurisation and waste of caustic, minimal risk of implosion.

I've sent you a PM
        dick

Comment

Thank you for the strong advise. Will be going back to the srawing boards with possible test.

Comment

Originally posted by Tazzworld View Post
            Thank you for the strong advise. Will be going back to the srawing boards with possible test.
            I'd be interested to hear what you come up with....keep us posted!

Comment

I seem to remember a CBC talk about this technique. Look in the BA archives, its probably there.

Comment

Working...
              X