Traditional Yeast Cropping and Centrifugation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traditional Yeast Cropping and Centrifugation

In a couple weeks time I will begin studying the different effects on yeast as well as the final beer of centrifuging and traditional yeast cropping. If anyone has used both methods on similar brews and is aware of differences or knows of any published research I would like to hear about it as right now I am just getting as much background information as I can.
    Any information at all would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Pete

You are probably as well off initially having a chat with people like Paul Bhaskare at Westfalia, as they supply centrifuges, the new ones having the capability of recoving yeast pitching quality yeast from poorly sedimenting yeast. I have only used them for yeast removal for close control of yeast counts in MV, after cropping the pitching yeast separately. I believe CT are using cooled bowl centrifuges for yeast removal, but do not know if this is to produce cropping yeast, or merely, as my own experience, for consistent solids loading. I suspect they are trying to use it for cropping pitching yeast, as mere yeast removal doesn't require a cooled bowl.

Cheers
    dick

Comment

I would ask if your question can be a bit more specific. I use a cropping method and centrifuge for primary clarification of the product. I have noticed a fair amount of shearing of the yeast with the centrifuge, which may contribute to particulates in the bright beer. I would be happy to help with any info I can, but need more details on your inquiry. Good luck!

Comment

The specifics of my question are there are no specifics...I am not looking at any one particular issue as I am writing a thesis comparing the two methods. I am semi familiar with the shearing effect of the centrifuge on the yeast and my experiments will be incorportating that as well as flavour, yeast viablility, fermentation progress, and probably a ton of other things that I am forgetting, any info at all is extremely helpful.

Cheers
        Pete

Comment

Working...
        X