Do you use Screen Gaskets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you use Screen Gaskets?

I've seen these on the GWKENT site and have been curious about them.

It would seem the two most logical areas to use them might be transferring wort from kettle/heat exchanger to the fermenter and post fermentation from fermenter to brite/serving tank.

I'm a pub brewer, curious if there are any brewers out there who use them and their results. I feel you might be able to help cut down on additional trub going into your fermenter. On the cold side, I'm trying to do mostly unfiltered finished product, I thought this might help reduce the chances of small particles of cold break ending up in my server.

Any thoughts?
    Cheers,
    Mike Roy
    Brewmaster
    Franklins Restaurant, Brewery & General Store
    5123 Baltimore Ave
    Hyattsville,MD 20781
    301-927-2740

Franklinsbrewery.com
    @franklinsbrwry
    facebook.com/franklinsbrewery

I wouldn't use them as you've suggested. Their ability to hold back trub is inversely proportional to their ability to pass liquid--If they did block trub, they'd clog. I've installed them on HLTs and the like to prevent nuts & bolts from entering a pump casing by accident. But if you're looking for a way to strain out trub, you should use a filter. Or a hopback. Just my thoughts. Good luck!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

screen gaskets

If you are talking about the ones with a screen molded into a triclamp gasket, I think that you'll find that their limited surface area provides pretty minimal run time in an application like pre-heat-ex straining of wort from the kettle. They will clog very quickly, even the ones that are formed into an elongated tube shape rather than just a flat gasket. For that application you really need some sort of a screen/basket strainer (also available through GWK).
      Steve Bradt
      Regional Sales Manager
      Micro-Matic Packaging Division
      Eastern United States and Canada
      sbradt@micro-matic.com
      785-766-1921

Comment

For knockout, this is what you need GW Kent stock # 2020. Otherwise, the gasket strainers are pretty useless (imo). Sorry, couldn't upload page for you.

Jeff
        Slainte,
        Jeff Lockhart
        Brew Master
        Red Leg Brewing Co.

Comment

Also GW Kent 2023. It's a little more expensive but has the advantage of being easier to clean during runoff if it gets clogged.
          Beejay
          Pipeworks Brewing Company

Comment

Agreed, we found the screen (the long one) to clog quickly and render transfer of liquid an impossibility. We ended up getting the larger stainless strainer and use it in-line from the hop back to the HX. Keeps the HX from clogging up when those whole leafs slip by the hopback screen. Works fantastic, well worth the higher cost. SKU 2020 at GW Kent. Looks like they also have a larger super strainer available as well, SKU 2023.

-Beaux

Comment

Working...
            X