Lost power, wort sitting in kettle for hours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost power, wort sitting in kettle for hours

Just lost power after filling my 7 barrel kettle with wort, pre boil. Temp is about 170. How long can it sit before any funk happens? Prognosis for power coming back could be 5, 6 or seven hours.
    Dave Cowie
    Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
    Nevada City, CA

170 is pasteurization temp. Should be fine for a while.

Comment

What is your threshhold for excellence?

I'd throw it out. And have on those occasions. There are reactions going on in the wort and most aren't good for it. Oxidation, DMS, etc. Then again, I'm a perfectionist and won't tolerate this sort of thing. And I have backup power. What's the wort cost you?
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Originally posted by gitchegumee View Post
        I'd throw it out. And have on those occasions. There are reactions going on in the wort and most aren't good for it. Oxidation, DMS, etc. Then again, I'm a perfectionist and won't tolerate this sort of thing. And I have backup power. What's the wort cost you?
        Power ended up being off a total of ~ 2hrs. Temp was about 180. I went ahead and finished it and will have to see how/if effected. It is a low hopped Robust Porter and so I'm hoping any off flavor will be minimized/masked. It is for the pub taps only, so no packaging/shelf life issues.
        Dave Cowie
        Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
        Nevada City, CA

Comment

I lost power a while back just about the same numbers as yours. A vigorous boil and all is well
          Mike Eme
          Brewmaster

Comment

Originally posted by barleyfreak View Post
            Power ended up being off a total of ~ 2hrs. Temp was about 180. I went ahead and finished it and will have to see how/if effected. It is a low hopped Robust Porter and so I'm hoping any off flavor will be minimized/masked. It is for the pub taps only, so no packaging/shelf life issues.
            In that case I would have done the same. Glad things worked out!

Comment

Working...
            X