Krausening as alternative to yeast harvesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Krausening as alternative to yeast harvesting

We dry hop most of our beers at the end of fermentation (about 0.02 points from finish). That makes it hard to get yeast out for rep itching as it usually has not settled when we dry hop.

I was thinking about using krausening as an alternative and pitching an amount of fermenting beer to my wort.

Has anybody tried this and if so how much has to be added to get an adequate amount of yeast?

-Christian

Curious as to why you aren't waiting until you harvest your yeast to dry hop. Is there an advantage to dry hopping before the fermentation is complete?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GrandArmoryJim View Post
      Curious as to why you aren't waiting until you harvest your yeast to dry hop. Is there an advantage to dry hopping before the fermentation is complete?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      The main reason is that the ongoing fermentation will negate any oxygen introduced with the dry hopping. Of course some of the volatiles will be carried away with the escaping Co2, but I think that is largely compensated for, by the hops being scrubbed more thoroughly by that self same Co2.

Sometimes we chill the beer and dry hop after that. However, I do not get the same level of aromatics dry hopping in cold beer as I do in beer that is at fermentation temperature.

-Christian

Comment

You might try crashing to about 59-60 before dry hopping. this will settle a good portion of yeast for harvesting. dry hop after harvesting. this temp is fine for dry hopping

Comment

Originally posted by ChristianSA View Post
          The main reason is that the ongoing fermentation will negate any oxygen introduced with the dry hopping. Of course some of the volatiles will be carried away with the escaping Co2, but I think that is largely compensated for, by the hops being scrubbed more thoroughly by that self same Co2.

Sometimes we chill the beer and dry hop after that. However, I do not get the same level of aromatics dry hopping in cold beer as I do in beer that is at fermentation temperature.

-Christian
          we turn the co2 on to our ferm tank as we dry hop not very strong just enough to get a little breeze coming out the dry hop hole up top. This should stop any air from coming in contact with the beer. Plus, i believe the general consensus is dry hopping when cooler saves more aroma. One last thing on aroma we carb our IPA so slow that we have little to no CO2 escape from the blow off line this leaves the aroma in the beer instead of going out the the blow off line
          Mike Eme
          Brewmaster

Comment

You might try crashing to about 59-60 before dry hopping. this will settle a good portion of yeast for harvesting. dry hop after harvesting. this temp is fine for dry hopping
            This is basically what we do and we're very happy w/ the results.

Comment

This is very interesting and I wondered if anyone has an opinion on this problem, I naturally carbonate my beer with a spunding valve. with my Pale and IPA I dry hop with a couple of gravity points left then immediately seal the tank, So I cant crash the beer as fermentation is incomplete and I cant wait until fermentation is done as I can no longer access the tank due it it now being under pressure. Would there be enough yeast already in the cone before I dry hop and spunding to give me a suitable quantity for re pitching? Any techniques on cropping yeast while naturally carbonating would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Kev. By the way I dont think Kreusening is suitable to completely ferment a batch, you would have to add so much I think it would be impractical.
              Last edited by arrkev; 05-15-2016, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X