Slight Clove Aroma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slight Clove Aroma

ok I have 2 batches that fermented out fine with no issues and tasted fine we then crashed to 34 degrees and let sit for 2 days only then does a slight clove aroma and very slight flavor come up,
    filtering seems to remove 90% of it and letting it sit in the brite tank it all seems to go away but I am at a lost as to what is causing it and do not want it to crop up again any one else ever have this?
    I think its my yeast but it is only 6 generations old and I oxine wash it every time so I am pitching it out and starting over any other thoughts

LDB

What kind of yeast are you using? Who is the supplier? What kind of beer are you making?
    Hutch Kugeman
    Head Brewer
    Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
    Hyde Park, NY

Comment

Making Pale ale and IPA Yeast us US-o5 fermentis at 6 generations and 7 generations always oxine washed and have never had this issue untill now have been up to 16 gens with no issues

LDB

Comment

It may be too much oxine, basically it sounds stressed. Unless it is a contamination.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight
          It may be too much oxine, basically it sounds stressed. Unless it is a contamination.
          I concur. Why are you washing so much? Can you do a simple viability test?
          Cheers & I'm out!
          David R. Pierce
          NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
          POB 343
          New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

When I say washing we add just enogh oxine to drop the PH of a keg of yeast down to about 3.5 the total amount is lest than 1 ounce we do this at harvest (am I paranoid about bugs well yes I am LOL) I looked at my batches an the 2 did have the same yeast in them so looks like that could be it it has been thrown out an iI am starting over.

Fred

Comment

It has been my experience that for the smaller craft brewer the biggest contaminants in packaged beer are as follows and in order:

1) oxygen
              2) wild yeast
              3) bacteria

In most cases number one and two get way out of hand before number 3 comes into play and that is usually after several months in the package. My guess is that you have a wild yeast problem. Oxine will (kind of) take care of number 3, but will do little for number 2. To continue on my soapbox, I have never been a fan of yeast washing, but if you must, I would recommend food grade phosphoric acid.
              Drink the beer, destiny of the land.

Comment

clove

HI:
                David Pierce is right....why are you washing your yeast that much with oxine ?

Can you please explain your procedure of oxine wash, maybe that way we can help.
                Give exact measurement, temperatures etc.

Fred

Comment

Originally posted by Enkidu
                  It has been my experience that for the smaller craft brewer the biggest contaminants in packaged beer are as follows and in order:

1) oxygen
                  2) wild yeast
                  3) bacteria

In most cases number one and two get way out of hand before number 3 comes into play and that is usually after several months in the package. My guess is that you have a wild yeast problem. Oxine will (kind of) take care of number 3, but will do little for number 2. To continue on my soapbox, I have never been a fan of yeast washing, but if you must, I would recommend food grade phosphoric acid.
                  I was refraining from posting but I was also under the impression that phosphoric acid to be a better choice for washing.

Comment

Found this article on Clo2 washing yeast...
                    Jeff Byrne

Comment

Originally posted by Jephro
                      Found this article on Clo2 washing yeast...

Interesting..thanks!

Comment

clove

Thanks for the info

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing Dog
                          ok I have 2 batches that fermented out fine with no issues and tasted fine we then crashed to 34 degrees and let sit for 2 days only then does a slight clove aroma and very slight flavor come up,
                          filtering seems to remove 90% of it and letting it sit in the brite tank it all seems to go away but I am at a lost as to what is causing it and do not want it to crop up again any one else ever have this?
                          I think its my yeast but it is only 6 generations old and I oxine wash it every time so I am pitching it out and starting over any other thoughts

LDB
                          hey ld how warm do you ferment ?

Comment

we Follow the Oxine wash from Birko Corp using Less than 1 ounce Mixed, for 15.5 gallons of slurry it reduces the PH to 2.5-3.5 for the keg of slurry we do this by putting it in our yeast harvest line that attaches to the keg then harvesting the yeast off of a closed fermenters with a closed loop so nothing is open to the atmosphere,
                            this is done at 55 degrees after the yeast settles out
                            we ferment at 68 degrees in closed conical glycol chilled fermenters

Fred

Comment

Clove is a phenol and therefore probably caused by an organism you don't want there.

Sorry to say this, but many breweries have found that the bacteria in their brewery develops a resistance to acidic conditions and that frequent acid washing can exacerbate the issue. A lot of these breweries have thus had to move to ClO2 (chlorine dioxide) as the others have mentioned.

Grant

Comment

Working...
                              X