Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pump preference

Hey guys (and gals),

My ooold wort pump just bit the dust (lift crushed it...don't ask) and I'm getting by with a spare. It's undersized, but I can live with the long transfers for now.

If you were buying a new wort pump, what would your preference be? I have a bit of equipment money saved up, so I could spring for something nice...anyone have any experience with lobe pumps, or should I stick with centrifugal? Got a favourite brand? Anything that is particularly easy to service? We use it for everything...grant pump, wort pump, kettle transfer...you know the drill.

thanks!
    nat

I would love a quiet centrifugal. Not sure if such a beast exists.
    Joel Halbleib
    Partner / Zymurgist
    Hive and Barrel Meadery
    6302 Old La Grange Rd
    Crestwood, KY
    www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

I would keep to a centrifugal pump but of course this depends on the size of your brewery. It can be used for just about everything except yeast removal and mash transfer.

Most of the new ones have decent sound insulation and are much more pleasant to work with than even say ten years ago. Have a look at the noise specification. I think they are coming in at about 85 db which is tolerable to work with most of the day. I don't have any specifications for our latest project.
      dick

Comment

Stick with centrifugal kettle pumps. They are NOT inherently noisy. Many, if not most kettle pumps are noisy not by design, but by improper installation. Even if it comes from a reputable equipment manufacturer. The problem is cavitation due to twists & turns in & out of diverter panels, or through too-small piping before the pump suction. Near-boiling wort should come into the pump suction in a large, straight, short section of pipe BELOW the lowest wort level. An eccentric reducer works nicely to keep the suction flooded. The discharge of the pump may then be located/rotated low on the horizontal to drain the pump cavity and kettle. If you'd like to take this opportunity to redesign your pump layout, it will prove to be money well spent.
        I've got a VFD on our kettle pump to supply the exchanger with just enough hot wort to use the exchanger at maximum efficiency. Believe it or not, you can BARELY hear it run when next to it. And it's not the liquid making noise, it's the whine of the VFD. Talk about rough handling of beer; cavitation has to rank right up there in wort abuse. Good luck & quiet transfers!
        Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Working...
        X