Forced Carbonation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carbonation

http://discussions.probrewer.com/sho...l-to-2-volumes this the thread that changed the way I look at carbonation
    hope it help out cheers
    matt 3GB

Comment

Originally posted by 3guysandabeerd View Post
      http://discussions.probrewer.com/sho...l-to-2-volumes this the thread that changed the way I look at carbonation
      hope it help out cheers
      matt 3GB
      Yeah, I read this thread yesterday. I think I understand glitchegummee's process except setting your flowmeter to "half scale" I just don't know the term. I understand setting the head pressure for your desired volumes and then bubbling-co2 through your stone, but I don't quite know where I should set the flow through my stone, or what he means by half-scale. Can you fill me in?

Cheers,
      Tim

Comment

Every application is different

There is no one single way to do this. You may have a very nice stone, or you may not. Put your stone in a bucket of water and watch what the flow of bubbles/mist looks like with different flow rates. Set your stone flow rate to what you think will carbonate without foaming your beer. Half scale on my flow meter is what I found to work IN MY PARTICULAR SITUATION. If your flowmeter shows maximum of 1 liter/minute (this is full scale), then half scale would be 1/2 liter/minute. Be sure to check your BBT after the first few carbonation cycles to examine for signs of foam ring. You don't want that.
        Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Originally posted by gitchegumee View Post
          There is no one single way to do this. You may have a very nice stone, or you may not. Put your stone in a bucket of water and watch what the flow of bubbles/mist looks like with different flow rates. Set your stone flow rate to what you think will carbonate without foaming your beer. Half scale on my flow meter is what I found to work IN MY PARTICULAR SITUATION. If your flowmeter shows maximum of 1 liter/minute (this is full scale), then half scale would be 1/2 liter/minute. Be sure to check your BBT after the first few carbonation cycles to examine for signs of foam ring. You don't want that.
          Thanks a lot GG! That's what I thought. You've become quote the resource for this method! One more thing -- after I check using water in a bucket, it seems like I wouldn't actually NEED a flowmeter if I know my flow rate at the c02 regulator. Do you think it's absolutely necessary - or could I just set, for example, 5psi on my regulator every time?

Cheers,
          Tim
          Last edited by omearabros; 08-11-2014, 11:50 AM.

Comment

I would not...

IF you know your flow rate at your regulator, then you could. Do you HAVE a flowmeter at your regulator? If not then you cannot accurately infer a flow rate from a pressure. Not unless you are extremely experienced and take into consideration the beer volume, beer style, starting carbonation level, etc, etc. Then it would be possible. But I'd still use a flow meter to know what I'm doing for sure. Use the flow meter to accurately know that you are pushing CO2 into the beer slowly and gently at a rate that both carbonates quickly and does not foam your beer. Cheers!
            Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Originally posted by gitchegumee View Post
              IF you know your flow rate at your regulator, then you could. Do you HAVE a flowmeter at your regulator? If not then you cannot accurately infer a flow rate from a pressure. Not unless you are extremely experienced and take into consideration the beer volume, beer style, starting carbonation level, etc, etc. Then it would be possible. But I'd still use a flow meter to know what I'm doing for sure. Use the flow meter to accurately know that you are pushing CO2 into the beer slowly and gently at a rate that both carbonates quickly and does not foam your beer. Cheers!
              Got myself a flowmeter. Thanks for the input. Cheers!

Comment

Working...
              X